Happy New Year! Lots of good things happening in our community and so many ways to engage! Hope to see you soon!
JOIN US @ WSEC for this important town hall on Wed, Jan 24 to hear more about the county wide Public Safety and Mental Health Preservation millage – what it supports now and what it might look like in the future. It is up for renewal this year – 2024! And more info about the community concept for a shared outreach position.
MLK Days of Service/Action – January 2024
Big thanks to all the individuals and organizations who helped make this year’s event(s) happen!
1) OWOF hosted the Kick Off at City Council Chambers featuring Mayor Jane Pacheco, City Manager Marty Colburn, Georgia Frost representing Rep. Debbie Dingell, and Kate Mehuron from Equality Chelsea. The banner included in the first MLKJr. Day event from 2002 was presented.
2) HRC hosted a panel discussion about Affordable Housing in Western Washtenaw County. Panelists included Bri Carpenter from Avalon Housing, Andrew De Leeuw from the Washtenaw County Admin Office, and Georgia Frost from Rep Dingell’s office. Tony Iannelli was the moderator.
Link to recording here.
Public Safety Strategic Planning Group presents draft plan Dec 14
A number of engaged citizens attended the SPG presentation at Beach Middle School last month. Chief Kayzak and Dr. Barbara Patrick (SMART) shared updates outlining the process and status of the creating the new CPD strategic plan. Shown here, Group Co-Chair Kate Henson lays out the agenda for the meeting, which included a question and answer period. Slides from the event are available to view on the city website on the SPG commission page here.
Keep following this group – this is the direct outcome of the marches and listening sessions in 2020!
Upcoming Meetings to Note
- Chelsea City Council Annual Visioning Session – Wed, Jan 31 @ 5:30 – 8:00 pm at Silver Maples – The public are invited to attend to hear Council discuss priorities for the coming budget year. Light food/beverage served.
- Conflict Resolution 101 – Carolyn Stillwell OWOF board member and Dispute Resolution Center mediator, will lead free class date TBD – coming in February
- The Power of Visioning – OWOF members will lead a free group session inspired by the actual Zing Train Visioning seminar – coming February/March TBD
- OWOF Annual Meeting – look for more details in coming months for a our spring gathering
Would you like to make a donation to OWOF this year? Please click this link for online or mail in donation instructions. Thank you very much! Your financial support helps us plan important social justice work in our community!
Please remember to check the OWOF Facebook page!
“Like” the posts so that we can get higher circulation.